Cougars go down Fighting


After a tough contested contest in round one, the Cougars came in packed full of confidence that they could cause an upset against another of division fours most fancied sides Whitehorse.

The Pioneers gave the Coldstream side plenty of headaches last season beating the Cougars twice including in the first week of the finals where they bundled the boys out in a scrappy arm wrestle.

The game began in horrible conditions with the rain seemingly going sideways and the wind blowing a gale towards Whitehorse's goal. As a result they were the first team to put a score on the board, booting home the first two goals before the Cougars had adapted to the conditions. Too many handballs and constant overuse of the Football in the wet weather is always a recipe for disaster and this was exactly what Coldstream was doing, eventually fumbling the ball right into Whitehorse hands. For all their dominance in the first quarter the Pioneers couldn't open up much of a lead on the score board however only leading by 7 points at the first change. 

During the first break Coach Chad Rogers begged for more from his side and told them to stop overusing the pill in the wet weather in particular with the wind. The boys obliged and followed his instructions with Faulkner and Whitchell kicking three quick goals helping to open up a 11 point break before Whitehorse got an easy goal from the centre clearance to stem the bargain back to 4 points at Half Time.

With the injury of Key Defender Luke McPhee the Cougars had to run out the second half with one short on the bench. 
Down back Brad Wotton was doing a terrific job on Whitehorse's main forward, while Daniel Versteegen was pushed up onto the wing and setting the standard with countless courageous plays and his lethal right boot going into attack. 

The third quarter began and seemed extremely similar to the first with Whitehorse booting home two quick goals as they did to start the match, however this time the we were unable to stem the momentum with the Pioneers pouring on another four goals before we could get one of our own halfway through the fourth quarter. Immediately after the first Carrigan drew a free kick to kick home another and give the boys a sniff with 10 minutes to go and a 19 point margin. But Whitehorse were too good around the contest despite the relentless tackling pressure of Cam Shield and Jai Deacon eventually running out 25 point winners. 

The final score: Coldstream 7.8.50 Def By Whitehorse 11.9.75.

Goal Kickers: A.Faulkner 3, C.Witchell 1, D.Carrigan, S.McCarthy 1, D.Versteegan 1, 

Best Players: D.Versteegan, C.Shield, J.Deacon, D.Carrigan, A.Faulkner, D.Price

Next week the Cougars play their local rivals Sivan away from home. See you guys there!  


Following a tough loss to East Burwood in the first week of the season, Coldstream hosted Whitehorse in a game that the boys were a massive chance to win. The first quarter began slowly for the Cougars conceding the first 4 goals of the game to the Pioneers who were kicking with a howling wind. Chase Coley managed to kick the boys first just before the quarter time siren however to give Coldstream some confidence heading into the first break. 

Frustrated, Coach Jamie Pegg questioned the endeavour of the boys pointing out that if it wasn't for the effort of Ben Thomas and Brodi Martin down back the game could very well have been over! He pleaded for his side to crack in harder around the stoppages and begin playing to the structures that had been implemented all pre season. To his and the rest of the boys glee, their efforts raised and it showed on the score board with Justin Wiggins and club legend John Pignataro kicking back to back goals and reducing the margin to a manageable 19 points at the main break. 

Whilst the boys huddled in the rooms the weather began to change and within five minutes of the third quarter their was a huge downpour of rain that streamed across the Coldstream Reserve. This meant that the game would come down to who wanted the football more aswell as a battle of territory, this played into our hands and it was undoubtable that our boys lifted a notch in the second half really tightening the screws in and around the contest whilst spreading harder around the ground. The third quarter ended with Coldstream the only side being able to kick a goal in the horrible conditions. 13 points the margin at three quarter time.

To start the fourth the boys seemed determined to keep pushing all the way to the end
and that they did again managing to hold the Pioneers goalless in the last term. The
main problem though was the weather and in trying conditions the Cougars
themselves were also unable to put the ball through the big sticks. In the end losing by
14 points. 

In a much more competitive game where their was a lot of positives to take out of the
game including the fact that they were able to keep Whitehorse goalless after half time
the boys should leave filled with confidence before they travel out to tackle Silvan next
weekend in a game they will be expecting to win.

Final Score: Coldstream 4.3.27 Def by Whitehorse Pioneers 6.7.43

Goal Kickers: J.Roberts, C.Coley, J.Pignataro, J.Wiggins

Best Players: B.Thomas,  J.Akers, B.Martin, P.Spendlove, D.Trueman, J.Lightbound


Add us

View us


Follow us


  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

Coldstream Football and Netball Club: EST 1890